Ben Morley-John is a major force in Smash Delta. Here’s his linked in profile. Here’s Smash Delta’s site and their beautiful research on Smart Cities.
Read the transcript of this episode here.
In this episode Ben and I cover:
- how Smash Delta blends capability to make integration faster (and which capabilities they think are important)
- the key elements for a great data scientist
- why ego is catastrophic in this industry
- why he’s not that excited about conferences anymore and what he thinks needs to happen to make it better
- the problems of consultants on their high horses, using impenetrable jargon and creating complexity (and how to get over it)
- Ben’s brain hack: Genius Foods
- the best way to learn fast, get respect and cut through the crap quickly
Ben Morley-John’s interesting side links
Definition of inimitable: so good or unusual as to be impossible to copy; unique
Ben sits on the board for Hope for Sydney , which helps people find places to volunteer: go check it out.
Here’s Heal the World, the Michael Jackson song we allude to:
- The Good Place (and the Good Place podcast)
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Big Little Lies
- Stranger Things
- 30 Rock
- Arrested Development
- The inverted pyramid and my version of it: the Complex Insights Explainer Tool. Liz Moore talks about this in her podcast.
- Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, And More Productive, While Protecting Your Brain Health For Life
- Dataclysm: Love, Sex, Race, and Identity–What Our Online Lives Tell Us about Our Offline Selves
- Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- The Daily
- Hacker News
- Tech Crunch
- Stephen Colbert’s Late Show
- Michael Barbaro New York Times Podcast