Sachin Kumar’s most important value is problem-solving. He wants the work he does to add value to the business.
Here’s his linked in profile. It was a great pleasure to have him on the podcast today.
Some of the key ideas he discusses:
- how smart is the new sexy
- why business acumen matters in a data analyst / decision scientist
- Einstein’s idea: if I have an hour to solve a problem, I’d spend 55 minutes understanding the question
- the importance of mirroring the client’s language back to them when explaining a solution (this is a fundamental of rapport: see here)
- what makes a data scientist succeed or fail
- why being smarter isn’t always better
- who owns data science – is it IT, Business, Consulting?
- the gap between the business and data science and what needs to happen with it
- how values power his day and help him manage time
- why we should be solving the problems which are a priority for the business
- why he’s given up reading books
- his dream to be a travelling problem-solver
- his advice to prospective data scientists (don’t fall in love with super-hero tech!)
- why you should ask all 20 questions next time you play that game
Interesting side ideas
Here are the links:
- Sachin works with Aaron Artery and Christina Igasto at Customer Crunch
- The Sherlock Holmes films and TV shows: the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock
- And the comic Holmes and Watson